Chicken Schnitzel with couscous
Main course, 4 servings, preparation time 15 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes, world cuisine
Ingrediënts for the schnitzel
– 120 g Miss Susta vegan chicken
– 40 g vegetable oil
– 240 ml cold water
– about 20 g flour
– about 60 g breadcrumbs
– 1 egg beaten with milk (for a vegan version, use the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
Ingrediënts for the couscous
– 2 Zucchini’s
– 450 g of couscous
– 1L of vegetable or chicken stock (of 2 cubes)
– 1 red pepper
– 1 onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1 lemon
– 10 g fresh mint
– Mix the Miss Susta vegan chicken mix with the oil and ice-cold water to an even mass. Divide the mass into 4 portions of 100 grams and form 4 cutlets.
– Beat an egg with a dash of milk (for a completely vegan recipe you can also use the liquid from one can of chickpeas); put the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, large enough to fit the cutlets.
– Sprinkle the cutlets with flour and shake off the excess flour. Now put the cutlets one by one through the egg mixture and immediately afterwards through the breadcrumbs. The cutlets are now ready to bake later. Cover and chill in fridge until ready to fry.
– Make the stock with 1 litre of boiling water and 2 stock cubes. Put the couscous in a container and fill the bowl about 1 cm above the couscous with stock. (You may be left with water broth or need a little extra) Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let it stand for about 10 minutes.
– In the meantime, cut the red pepper, zucchini and garlic into pieces. Cut the mint leaf into strips, keeping a few leaves behind for the garnish. Cut the lemon into 8 wedges.
– Pour a dash of vegetable oil into a pan and fry the onion, garlic, red pepper and zucchini for about 3 minutes.
– Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in another skillet. Fry the cutlets in this until crispy (about 2 minutes on each side).
– Now mix the vegetable mixture with the cooked couscous and the chopped mint leaves.
– Divide the couscous over 4 plates and place the crispy baked vegan chicken schnitzel on top. Garnish the dish with the mint leaves and 2 lemon wedges.
For this dish for 2 people, simply halve all the quantities in the recipe. If necessary, make 4 cutlets from the Miss Susta mix and freeze two cutlets for later use. The prepared cutlets can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 days.