We would like to take you on a bird’s-eye view of the green ingredients that together make up the vegan meat substitute ‘miss Susta’. In order to arrive at a tasty product that actually contains the characteristics of a ‘meat product’, careful choices and innovation go hand in hand. The basis of miss Susta is wheat. The proteins from wheat give the meat substitute the right structure. The addition of vitamins and iron also makes miss Susta a suitable alternative for regular minced meat or chicken in terms of nutritional values. Below we tell you more about all the Susta ingredients.
Miss Susta Chicken:
57% Textured TARWE protein, firming agent: methylcellulose; flavors (contains TARWE), vegetable fibers (sugar cane, citrus, psyllium), union, pea protein isolate, yeast extracts, white pepper, black pepper, sunflower oil, mineral: Iron(||) fumarate, vitamin: B12
Miss Susta Meat:
60% Textured WHEAT protein, firming agent: methyl cellulose, vegetable fibres (sugar cane, citrus, psyllium), natural flavourings (contains WHEAT),union, pea protein isolate, sodium reduced mineral*, sea salt, spices (white pepper, paprika powder, black pepper), red beet concentrate, yeast extracts, apple extract, sunflower oil, mineral: Iron (||) fumarate, vitamin: B12
*naturally occurring sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium
Content and weight: 120 Gram
Portion size: 50 gram
Number of portions: 4
Tips & tricks
- The recommended ratio of miss Susta mix, ice cold water and vegetable oil is 30-60-10. This means that you mix 1 bag of miss Susta mix (of 120 grams) with 240 ml ice-cold water and 40 ml vegetable oil. You make 400 grams of vegan minced meat or chicken with 1 bag of mix! That’s 4 servings.
- It is very important that really ice cold water is used (preferably between 0 and 4 degrees). This is because the low temperature creates the binding in the mixture. Too high a temperature can give a somewhat sticky dough. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for half an hour or use disposable gloves when forming the dough.
- Susta recommends using sunflower oil. Other vegetable oils can also be used, but preferably not olive oil because of the risk of an aftertaste, especially when heated.
- If you find 400 grams too much to use in one go, you can make the rest of the prepared vegan minced meat or chicken mixture into the desired shape and then simply freeze it. In the refrigerator, tempered vegan minced meat or chicken will keep for 2-3 days. Note the order: form first, then store in the refrigerator or freezer….
- Prepare in the skillet or oven. The miss Susta burgers, balls or schnitzels can be fried over medium-high heat in a skillet with 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Fry each side for about 3 minutes. The burgers or balls can also be baked in the oven. The burgers retain their shape and can be placed in a preheated oven at 180- 200 degrees for 20 minutes or on the baking tray as on the baking grid. Recommended temperature: (200 with traditional oven and 180 degrees with a hot air/convection oven). If the oven has a circulation grill, this is also possible.
- The miss Susta minced meat mixture can also be safely consumed raw (unheated), for example in a recipe as filet americain, or as spreadable “liverwurst”. Make sure that the product is stored in a cool place and is not older than 2 days.
Nutritional values Chicken
|Type||Per 100 gr Susta mix||Per 100 gr Susta product||Regular chicken|
|Energy||339 kcal||192 kcal||153 kcal|
|Fat||3,6 g||11,1 g||7,7 g|
|of which saturated||0,7 g||1,3 g||2,1 g|
|Carbohydrates||23,2 g||7,0 g||0,1 g|
|of which sugars||3,2 g||1,0 g||0 g|
|Dietary fiber||21,3 g||6,4 g||0 g|
|Proteins (Nx6.25 g)||42,8 g||12,8 g||20,9 g|
|Salt||3,7 g||1,1 g||1,1 g|
|Sodium||1473 mg||442 mg||481 mg|
|Iron||2,3 mg||0,7 mg||0,83 mg|
|Vitamin B12 (µg)||0,96 µg||0,29 µg||0,35 µg|
Nutritional values Meat
|Type||Per 100 gr Susta mix||Per 100 gr Susta product||Regulier gehakt|
|Energy||341 kcal||192 kcal||225 kcal|
|Fat||3,9 g||11,1 g||16,3 g|
|Of which saturated||0,8 g||1,3 g||7,0 g|
|Carbohydrates||23,8 g||7,1 g||1,7 g|
|of which sugars||3,5 g||1,0 g||0 g|
|Dietary fibers||19,0 g||5,7 g||0 g|
|Proteins (Nx6.25 g)||43,1 g||12,9 g||18,4 g|
|Salt||3,6 g||1,1 g||1,1 g|
|Sodium||1437 mg||431 mg||475 mg|
|Iron||8,9 mg||2,7 mg||1,4 mg|
|Vitamin B12 (µg)||9,6 µg||2,9 µg||1,1 µg|
Order your mix here
You order miss Susta in a flat box with four sachets. It fits through the letterbox. Choose from ‘vegan meat’ or ‘vegan chicken’ or a box with both flavours. The delivery costs are paid for by us.
Orders placed before 16:00 will be dispatched the same day.
Orders placed on Sunday will be processed on Monday.