Stuffed aubergine with vegan meat
Main course, 4 servings, preparation time 60 minutes, preparation time 30 minutes
– 120 g of Miss Susta vegan meat
– 40 g vegetable oil (preferably sunflower oil)
– 240 ml of ice-cold water
– 4 large aubergines (or 6 thin)
– 1 onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 tomatoes
– 1 green pepper
– 1 tbsp of tomato paste
– 1 handful of flat parsley
– pepper, cumin
– sunflower oil
– Mix the Miss Susta vegan meat mix with the sunflower oil and cold water to a homogeneous vegan minced meat mixture.
– Preheat the oven to 220 ºC. Wash the aubergines and peel the aubergines partly lengthways with a vegetable peeler. After each strip without peel, leave a strip with peel and cut them to the middle along the length. Prick some holes all around and brush the aubergines with oil. Place them on baking paper in the oven and roast the aubergines for about 45 minutes. The aubergines are done if you can poke them with a knife without difficulty (choose the thickest part).
– Meanwhile, cross the two tomatoes and blanche them briefly in boiling water. Finely chop the onion and fry in oil in a fry pan. Finely chop one green pepper and add it to the onion.
– When the onion looks translucent, add the vegan minced mixture and fry it loose.
– Meanwhile, skin the two tomatoes and cut them into cubes. Finely chop the garlic and add it to the minced meat mixture in the pan. Let it all simmer gently on a low heat until most of the moisture from the tomatoes has evaporated.
– Then turn off the heat and add pepper, cumin and three quarters of the chopped parsley.
– When the aubergines are done, take them out of the oven and place them in an oven dish. Cut each aubergine open lengthwise to slightly over the middle and press open a little further with the help of a spoon. Now spoon 1/4 part of the ground beef mixture into each eggplant.
– Stir tomato paste with 200 ml of hot water and pour this into the oven dish.
– Cover the dish with aluminium foil.
– Place the dishes into the preheated 220 ºC oven. Let the dish cook for 20 minutes: then remove the aluminium foil and allow the stuffed aubergines to get a nice colour, approx. 10 minutes.
– Before serving, sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley.
Delicious with rice (or pilau) and tzatziki.